In this article you can learn what is Sidewiki, how to install and use Sidewiki, how Google Sidewiki work and Sidewiki features, how to block Sidewiki and some (controversy) impressions about Sidewiki. I discover Sidewiki two days ago after after updating my Google toolbar. Sidewiki was launched in September 2009.
What is Sidewiki and how it is functioning
Google Sidewiki appears as a browser sidebar, where users can read and write comments about current web page. Sidewiki allows web surfers to leave comments about pages as they surf the web and to read Sidewiki comments leaved by other surfers. So if you have Sidewiki enabled you can view Sidewiki entries posted by surfers who visit web page before you.
Now with help of Sidewiki every web page can be commented in one unique comment system. To see Sidewiki entries or add your own Sidewiki entrie you must have Sidewiki installed on your browser (Google toolbar or Sidewiki bookmarklet) and Google account. Sidewiki users can also rate Sidewiki entries. This rating is visible when a user click on more hypelink of some Sidewiki entry (Useful? yes, no)
To summarize, Google Sidewiki user can:
- view Sidewiki entries (comments) entered by others Sidewiki users for current web page
- write his own Sidewiki entry about web site
- rate existing Sidewiki entries
- write Sidewiki entry about selected area of text
Prerequisites to use GoogleSidewiki:
- you must have Google account
- to use Sidewiki you need to install Google toolbar. Sidewiki is integrated in Google toolbar
- if you don't want to install Google toolbar (privacy issue or any other issue) or your internet browser don't support Google toolbar you can use Sidewiki bookmarklet
How to use Google Sidewiki
If you have signed up with google account you can write your own entries or rate entries of other Sidewiki users. If you are page owner, you can write a special entry that will remain the top entry for this page.
How Sidewiki order comments
The key factor in ordering Sidewiki entries are:
- Use of sophisticated language
- Sidewiki user’s reputation: Are user's comments being voted up or down, or reported as abuse?
- Siedwiki user’s history
Profile rank is very important. Similar to PageRank that reflects web page authority, Google Profile have its own Profile rank which is important when Sidewiki ranking comments.
HTML in Sidewiki entries
You can ask yourself : Can I make hyperlinks in Google Sidewiki entries? Yes, you can.
- font formatting tags such as bold tag - <b> tag
- italicize tag - <i> tag
- hyperlink tag - <a> tag
- paragraph tag - <p> tag
- break line tag <br /> tag
For complete list of supported HTML tags visit Using HTML in Sidewiki entries
Don't like Sidewiki and want to block Sidewiki on your page
With this code snippet you can stop side wiki spam (if you think that way). I found this code on sidewikispam blog. I make test on blogger and it works. In my opinion Sidewiki is welcome on my blog.
Thoughts about Siedwiki
- Sidewiki, enables anyone to comment on any web page
- Page owner can't control Sidewiki entries about his page, what if a page owner do not want anyone put comments about his web page?
- Google have its own system to rate Sidewiki comments and order those comments (entries)
- good rated Sidewiki entries are on the top of comment for web page, Sidewiki entries with bad rate will be buried and visitor will not see those entries, so Google decide which comment will stay for some web site
- what if some inappropriate entry is on the top? Web owner can't delete it.
- some bloggers claims that Google takes comments away from web sites and puts them on Google
- what if someone in Google doesn't like some site and decide to show only negative comments for that site, yes they say it is a algorithm, but algorithms are written by people and can be used for manipulation
- are Google capable to stop spammers who will try to use Sidewiki for their spam